A truthful drabble

Students frequently complain about the high wordcount associated with writing in their classes. Particularly in English some find it a challenge to come up with enough words to satisfy a given requirement when writing creatively or academically. Thus, for your next post in creative writing I would like to turn the premise around and limit the number of words you may use to 100. As I would like you to create a drabble, the wordcount is neither arbitrary nor negotiable – your text has to have 100 words exactly (In our case the title may or may not count). So there shouldn’t be reason for complaints this time.

How to – drabble:

a drabble is a [fictional] text and can be considered one of the very short forms of writing. Although it is short by nature, it still consists of a beginning, a middle and an end. The beginning is used to set up the story, it then progresses in the middle and comes to a conclusion in the end. A drabble can be about anything and they often have a twist/surprise at the end. For our class, however, I want you to write a drabble that is true –  something that actually happened.

http://www.thebluediamondgallery.com/scrabble/images/truth.jpg

Start by gathering ideas and writing a first draft. Usually this draft will be too long, so a phase of editing will follow. You should cut the non-essential parts without severely damaging the core message of your narration. Finally publish your text and do not forget to comment by October 23rd. I gave it a try and posted one truthful example underneath. A second text is provided to show you how the professionals do it:

Selective Fire Hazard!?
By Forestdweller

In 2006 I went to the Nova Rock with friends. Lacking festival experience – we mostly improvised.

One item deemed essential was a makeshift grill – a gas cartridge and an A4 sized grillage. Many times we tried to smuggle the forbidden elements inside: hidden in a backpack, inside the sleeping bag, underneath our jackets… in vain – the guards always stopped us. Finally we staged a fight – Alex and I passionately yelled at each other, while Sam squeezed through with the contraband…Soon our lukewarm goulash tasted like victory!

An hour later we found an official stall that sold camping grills.

__________________________________________________________________________

TIMELESS
By Michelle Brueger

I’ve always been a daddy’s girl. On road trips, we competed over who sported the most hawks first. Our favorite competition was, upon seeing each other, who could say the words “I love you best” first. If I got him first, Dad would reply, “I’ll get you—just wait.”

My dad died the night before my 50th birthday. The next day, Mom brought me a gift, saying, “This is from your dad. He bought it for you five years ago.” Inside was a beautiful gold pocket watch. Engraved on the inside were the words I love you best—Gotcha.